A woman has described her horror after she says she was woken in her apartment by blood dripping from her ceiling onto her face after her upstairs neighbor had died.
Ana Cardenas, of El Paso, Texas, said she woke at around 4 a.m. on Wednesday after hearing a dripping noise which she thought was rain.
Cardenas then saw blood which was dripping from her ceiling had splattered into the walls of her apartment, face, body and bed after being propelled by her ceiling fan.
“It grossed me out, I was in shock, I thought this isn’t real this is a dream, wake up,” Cardenas told KTSM. “I called maintenance and they said, ‘are you sure?’ and I said blood is falling on me.” KTSM did not corroborate this account. Newsweek has reached out to local police and the apartment complex for comment.
Cardenas then called 911, with authorities later determining that her upstairs neighbor, who was aged between 55 and 70, had been laying dead on the floor for several days and had started to decompose.
‘The firefighters knocked down his door and the body was laying exactly where my fan is underneath,” Cardenas said.
“He had carpet but the blood seeped through to my ceiling. They took the fan down and a pool of blood came down.”
Police believe that her neighbor had been decomposing for about five to six days following his death from natural causes, Cardenas said.
Cardenas said she has been staying in a hotel since the incident, and has appealed to her apartment’s management team for compensation for her damaged property.
“I told them my bed is covered in blood and they told me they’re sorry but the insurance won’t pay it,” Cardenas told KTSM, adding that she did not have renter’s insurance.
Cardenas has now set up a GoFundMe to help pay for the damages in apartment.
“An unfortunate death occurred in the apartment above mine which resulted in me having to immediately evacuate my home,” she wrote in the description.
“Bodily fluids began leaking from the ceiling contaminating all my personal belongings: bed, furniture, clothes, sheets, and much more are now destroyed and had to be thrown away due to biohazard. Others and I made several attempts to contact the managers of the Cielo Vista apartment complex with no response or return of my phone calls.
“I have no other means of shelter and now all my belongings have been contaminated,” she added. “This requested go fund me assistance will help with temporary shelter, replacement of my clothing and much needed personal belongings. Any assistance is highly appreciated in this time of need.”
At the time of publication, the GoFundMe has managed to raise more than $5,000.
Cielo Vista Apartments has been contacted for comment.